Monday, January 2, 2012

Good Eats - Philippe Original French Dip

Good Eats Resolution...
#1 - Go eat what I have always wanted to try.

Philippe has been around since forever!
Since 1908 to be exact.
Philippe's Official Website

I have wanted to try their French Dip since forever.
Not sure what happened.
I have been in L.A. for over 16 years.
It is right around the corner from Chinatown, so often we bypass Philippe to get our authentic Chinese food fix.

But no more...the time is Now!

After the 1st bite of his "Lamb with Blue Cheese, Single Dip," Nerdy Hubby turned to me and asked, "Did you know this place was here?"
I said, "Yes, since we first moved to L.A."
He looked at me almost mad and exclaimed, "and you waited til now to bring me here for a lamb sandwich!"
"Sorry"...I sheepishly answered.


The line wasn't bad given it was a holiday and not baseball season.
The ladies behind the counter were all in blue and white uniform.
(I think they have been working there since forever, too.)
The drinks were 65 cents for iced-tea and 75 cents for lemonade.
(The cans and bottles were like normal regular price...but why pay that?!)

I read so much about this place that I almost memorized the menu.
Also knew enough to come prepared with my order.
We opted for "Lamb & Blue Cheese" and "Pork with Swiss." - Single Dip.
Next time, we will try a double dip.  But we were highly satisfied with the Single.
Not too wet and flavored the sandwich perfectly.

Then, pickles and an order of each of the side salad.
Loved the pickle; NH was a big fan of the coleslaw, I preferred the potato salad over the macaroni.
Yes...I saw the pig's feet and the pickled eggs.  And Yes...people were eating them.


Oh...almost forgot the infamous "Hot Mustard."
If you love spicy...that's it for you.
Would you like a little sandwich with your bottle of Hot Mustard?!

We were so stuffed, But...we couldn't turn down the opportunity to drink a cup of 9 cents coffee.
And to go with the coffee, we had to try a slice of pie...(remember the children's book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie...yeah!)
The lemon meringue had our name on it.
BTW, the coffee was good, it tasted like at least a 29 cents cup of coffee.


There were lots to look at while you wait in line and while you eat at the communal tables and stools.  There were also some booths in the back and upstairs seating.

The most memorable thing for the kiddies was the saw dust on the floor.
They kept asking why the people didn't clean up before they started serving their customers.
When we told them they wanted it that way, they were just puzzled.
If nothing else, it was definitely a meal they can write about in their vacation journal for school.

Don't wait forever like I did.  
Philippe The Original is a Must when you are in L.A.



No comments:

Post a Comment