Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Dance of Disagreement

I can do a little boogie, But, I can't dance.
Tried it a couple of times, Nerdy Hubby's feet were complaining very quickly.
Ouch...sorry...oh, the other side...It was crazy...we did have a good laugh or two.

Relationship is like a dance, it has to be learned. There are techniques, skills, timing, styles.  Then, there are the togetherness, connectiveness and practice.

One of the toughest issue in relationship is conflict. Read an interesting perspective.
It starts out with...

Promise me that you will never agree with me. At least not completely, and never automatically. It's important for you to disagree with me, to bring your perspective, to look for the exception to my premise. That is what I need from you to keep me growing, to keep me connecting to you.

Disagreement is the reason communication exists.  It's a tool to gain perspective, to built empathy, to reason, to learn tolerance.  Contrary to the common belief, disagreement does not create conflict, the demand for agreement is the root of conflict.

The art of disagreeing is a balancing act of active engagement and critical thinking. With the right timing, an expression of openness, responsive communication style and an empathic intent, this too can be a demonstration of love.

How Will You Dance Away Your Disagreement Today?

No comments:

Post a Comment