Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mind Our Manners



From the March issue of Parents Magazine:

25 Manners Every Kid Should Know
1.  Please
2.  Thank You
3.  Do Not Interrupt
4.  Say "Excuse Me"
5.  Ask Permission
6.  Keep Negative Opinion to Self
7.  Do Not Comment on People's Physical Characteristics
8.  When Other Ask "How Are You?" Ask Them How They Are In Return
9.  Always Acknowledge and Address Friends' Parents When Visiting Their Home
10. Knock On Closed Doors
11. Address Yourself When Making a Call
12. Be Appreciative of Any Gifts
13. Do Not Use Foul Language In Public
14. No Name Calling
15. Do Not Tease
16. Do Not Show Disinterest Even If Bored
17. Do Write Thank You Notes
18. Cover Mouth When Cough or Sneeze
19. Do Not Pick Nose In Public
20. Open Doors For Others
21. Offer To Help
22. Eat With Utensils
23. Keep Napkin On Lap and Use It to Wipe Mouth
24. Do Not Reach Over Table
25. Do Not Complain About the Food When Visiting People's Home

I am sure I can add to this or remove others.  But generally, I am in agreement with this.
What's interesting for me is how this list reminds me to teach by example. How many of us adults mind our manners everyday.  Ultimately having manners means showing proper respect for ourselves and for others.

Today I Will Respect Myself Enough to Mind My Manners.

No comments:

Post a Comment