Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sparky Anderson - Baseball...Yet, Beyond

We, as a household is not big on baseball. There are just too many innings for us to stay with it.  I know, I know, we are the exception.

My sista, Auntie C to the kiddies, is a BIG Yankee fan.  You can tell from head to toes, miles away, on and off the freeway. My son had outfits and caps from age 0 to when it got too expansive.  Even the girly got a pink Yankee outfit.  But that's the extend of our baseball education.

When a story on Sparky Anderson popped up on my screen, I cannot tell you what possessed me to click on it: The Other Side Of Sparky Anderson http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201105/other-side-sparky

But I did.

What a great story.  Sparky was an icon for the Reds and then the Tigers. He passed away in Nov 2010. Curiosity surrounded his decision to not have any traditional ceremony or observance. The Story is about him as a person and not as a famous baseball manager. After years of success, he recognized that he had lost out on his relationships with his family and his children.

After retirement, some say too soon and too early, he reclaimed himself as a husband, a father, a friends and a  neighborhood role model.

I cannot tell you why exactly, but this story really moved me.  Maybe because the man had integrity, maybe because he understood what was most important in life, his family, or maybe just because he made a choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment