Friday, December 9, 2011

The Best of TED 2011 - Don't Regret Regret

The Best of 2011
The Best of...

Huffington Post and TED together...
18 Great Ideas from 2011 That Can Shape 2012
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/tedtalks2011

So far...
Algorithms; Regrets; Word; Driveless Car; Freedom on the Internet; Risk that Harms; Less is More...

One of my favorite so far is Kathryn Schulz.  She is no stranger to me.  She is the author of a book I recommended, "Being Wrong."

This time, she is talking about regrets. She is talking about it in terms of "Behavioral Economic."
Yet, sounds very much like common sense, life strategy to me.

What People Reported to Have the Most Regrets: In the following ranking.
Education
Career
Romance
Parenting
Self
Leisure
Finances
Family
Health
Friends
Spirituality
Community

At the end, she suggest that it is human and humane to have regrets.
Rather than finding ways "To Live Without Regrets," we should try to find ways "To Live With Regrets."
Regret is...
- Universal
- Somewhat Humorous (in hindsight or if our life was a movie)
- Never as Ugly as we though at the time

I love her closing statement.

The point isn't to live without any regrets. It is to Not hate ourselves for having them.
...We need to learn to love the flawed, imperfect things that we create and to forgive ourselves for creating them. Regret doesn't remind us that we did badly, It reminds us that we know we can do better.

Kathryn Schulz:  Don't regret regret

I shall not count my many regrets for you at this time.
But...I Do So Hope that...I can do better in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment