Friday, December 16, 2011

Power of Vulnerability

Turning Weakness into Strength...

For many who had ever looked for a job, applied and interviewed for a job, the ever dreaded question is "What are your weaknesses and how have you handle them?"

During my recent interview someone actually said, "Your resume looks perfect and your answers are informative and insightful (for the job), so now, show me your flaws."

I had to chuckle (to buy some time and to think fast).  I told the interview panel to call my husband because he has the list.

Brene Brown is a researcher (social work) focused on vulnerability, courage, authenticity and shame.
She started with connection, the core of what give human life purpose and meaning.
She asked people about love and connection, what she was getting were stories about disconnection.

Many felt shame and fear, not feeling good enough to be genuinely connected.
Not able to be vulnerable, not allowing the "self" to be seen.
Fearing that,
"If you get to know me, really know me...You will not love/like me."

This is not news to many of us...But...

The ultimate finding and suggestion was To Live Wholeheartedly.
We are to find the courage to be imperfect.

We are born to be imperfect, wired for struggles, 
But we are also worthy of love and meant for belonging.

Instead of  numbing out, pretending to live life, we are to to be vulnerable.
That is the crossroad of fear and joy.

To feel vulnerable is to be alive and the genuine reminder that we are good enough to be a part of...and worthy of connections.
Brene Brown: The power of vulnerability

By the way...I did get the job even after I told them that I can be hyper-focused on task at times. I can have overly high expectation of myself and others. And I am definitely still working on my perfectionist traits.

Job will start in January, 2012...

No comments:

Post a Comment