Friday, August 19, 2011

Antiquing: Finding Objects with A Previous Life and Story

The word "Antique" means very different things to different people.

Many would immediately response with "old things and stuff."
Others may think of  "Treasures and Money."
For me, it's all about the "Stories Await."

PBS's Antique Road Show is one of their most popular shows.  People would literally line the streets to bring their "treasures" to be appraised.

Pawn Stars on The History Channel has its very own fans and following.  The fans would make it their goal to stop by the store when they go to Las Vegas.

Me...I do consider Antiquing treasure hunting.  It has always intrigued me that these objects belonged to someone else, located somewhere else before and if they can tell stories, much would be said.

A piece of beautiful furniture, a delicate decorative piece, a doll, a set of china, they all have a story to tell.

Most of the time, we would be able to find out the period of time and the typical usage, but nothing more.

So I would imagine.  Fill in the possibilities.  These objects are beautiful and precious not only because of their appearance, but also where they have been.  I am not a history buff, but antiques, they speak history to me.

So on my bucket list, I have a two-fold item:  Go Antiquing in the country side of France.
The older the country, the more treasures it holds.  And who doesn't love France.

Until then, like this weekend, Oxnard and Ventura at the seaside of SoCal would do.
I think I even got my fam hooked; Nerdy Hubby loves old clocks; my Big Boy looks for interesting toys and Girly Girl just looks for anything beautiful (her latest find was a beautiful Mexican doll with big eyes and rosy cheeks, whom she named Fiona).

New and Shinny are nice, But sometimes, 
Old may be richer and more meaningful.



No comments:

Post a Comment