Monday, August 29, 2011

Good Eats Monday - Supper Specials

Supper  -vs.- Dinner

What is Your take on this?
The usage of the word "Supper" vs. "Dinner" has always been confusing to me.

Growing up, I have never use the word "Supper." In New York, dinner was dinner, the last meal of the day.

I remembered the first time I heard the word "Supper" was out of the mouth of Laura Ingalls from the "Little House" series.

Then the restaurants in New York started posting Sunday Supper Specials.  As time went by, I didn't pay much attention and just accepted supper and dinner as interchangeable.

Now, when I see the word supper, I think of it this way...mostly of Sunday Supper.
People do Brunch on Sunday, either because of getting up late or going to church.
Then, they can't decide what to do with dinner so, they do supper.
Which I define as a less formal, simple, social gathering of a meal.

Many cultures take the Sunday meal very seriously and would pack the house with friends and family.
We are a small family unit so I am much more interested in the Supper Specials offerings than working up a menu.

Here are a few Sunday Supper offerings:

1.  One of my all time favorite restaurant Church & State Bistro offers a 5-course family style meal.

2.  Lucques - One of the most celebrated restaurants in L.A.



Sunday Supper (sample menu)
august 28, 2011

seared plum and arugula salad with labneh,
crispy soria, blackberry compote and almonds

***
sautéed shrimp with black rice, heirloom tomato,
persian cucumbers and green harissa
or
grilled country-style pork chop with ratatouille,
paprika butter, cherry tomatoes and bread crumbs

***
ricotta cheesecake with roasted
red flame grapes, almond biscotti and saba

45 dollars per person



3.  EVA Restaurant - Fans call this place "Amazing"
Sunday is 5-course dinner with unlimited house red and white wines.




No comments:

Post a Comment