Friday, April 8, 2011

Daughters are Beautiful

I started this blog last Friday.  Today makes for a full week.  
Nerdy Hubby predicted that I will end the week with a blog on daughters. I mentioned my son earlier this week and Nerdy Hubby knew that our daughter is a constant inspiration to me in her own way.  


TED:  Ideas Worth Spreading  -  http://www.ted.com/

Sarah Kay:  If I should have a daughter, instead of mom, she is going to call me point B.  Because that way, she'll knows no matter what happens, at least she can find her way back to me...

Sarah continues for another 3 and a half minutes with her Spoken Word Poetry on the topic of daughter.  Her entire talk is 18 minutes or so.  Her talk transition into how Spoken Word helps people "find their voice"

Yet, in those 18 minutes, I am reminded of what I had said long ago to myself, "If I should have a daughter..."

It went something like this: (My personal version)

If I should have a daughter,
I will teach her to believe.
I will watch my words and mind my thoughts.
I will protect her from herself and the societal idea of  "not good enough."
I will love her with words and deeds.
I will explain to her that life will not be easy,
but she is to seek out and cling to those who love her for who she is.
I will show her that her God-given gifts are abundant and enduring.
I will point out to her the beauties she possesses inside and out.
I will affirm her of her natures and her longings.
I will guide her to see the strengths of options and commitments.
I will remind her that the hope of the future lies in the possibilities of today
built upon the path paved from yesterday.


Many years later, I do have a daughter.  She is joyful yet shy; she is cautiously adventurous; she is grounded yet dreamy; she is carefree yet anxious; she is fun loving and serious; she is thoughtful yet forgetful. She is full of laughters yet cries with intense fervor.

She is my daughter and SHE IS BEAUTIFUL... 
and I, her "Point B", will never let her forget that.
Daughters are Beautiful








No comments:

Post a Comment