Thursday, April 28, 2011

From... croque-monsieur et croque-madame To... the monte cristo

My all time favorite sandwich is...
(ok, maybe it's a three way tie among New York deli chicken salad and New England lobster roll; I am a reformed New Yorker after all) ...The Monte Cristo.

Since moving out west, every time I see the Monte on a menu, I feel like I have to order it.  Tasted many good ones, and others, not so much.

Here is one of my favorite recipe for a near perfect Monte Cristo.  No...I don't like them fried.
http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/monte-cristo-sandwiches-recipe.htm

Then I did some research, the great grandfather of Monte Cristo is French, the "croque-monsieur" and great grandmother is "croque-madame." These are open face ham and cheese French Bistro sandwiches.  Great grandmother is served with an egg on top.

This site has an authentic recipe of them...Beautiful!
http://www.sohowsittaste.com/2011/03/croque-monsieur-croque-madame.html

Why I find the Monte so inspiring and endearing is the fact that it is a breakfast sandwich that you can eat any time, even for dinner.  How fun is that???  Oui Oui 
Go do something in reverse today
Dance with 2 left feet
Walk backward to your car
Smile while you are frowning
Write your own rule for just today 

No comments:

Post a Comment