Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What Does a Teacher Make...


Erin Gruwell & The Freedom Writers Foundation

I had the privileged of hearing Erin Gruwell speaks at TEDxConejo.  She spoke of her experience as a H.S. English teacher (which inspired the movie "The Freedom Writers").  Her words moved me to tears.

I am not going to digress into the politics or onto my soapbox about America's educational system.  I will say that we need to HONOR the GOOD TEACHERS among us.

Today's reflection comes from a darker place for me.  It stems from a deep sense of "un-necessary" failure and irrational guilt.  These feelings can be brought on by the simplest task of doing homework with my children.  I can try to explain, but then it won't be a blog.  It will become a book.  

I do want to say that having wonderful and encouraging teachers saved me from that dark dark place.  They believed in me. They challenged me to be my best.  They said, "Come On...You Can Do It...Success is Already Inside of You...Just Reach Inward."

I am forever grateful to them.  

So what does a teacher make?  
They make believers and dreamers.
They make learners and adventurers.  
They make readers and doers.  
They make possibilities shine.

Take Time Today to Remember Your Best Teacher.
How did He/She make a difference in you, Today?

No comments:

Post a Comment