Monday, April 4, 2011

Growing Up Sons

I love my first born. He happens to be a boy. He happens to be a boy with an old soul. I have often said that I never worry about him as an adult. It is how to keep him a child until he is an actual adult that worries me.

He told me when he was 5 y.o., "Mom, it is not easy to be your first born child. You have to try out how to be a mom on me. These things you try may or may not work." I remember being shocked and then paused and told him that he is so so right.

He is 10 now; I have to admit that I am still trying out parenting stuff on him, that may or may not work.

Even though I am a professional student of human nature, personalities, life stages developments, interpersonal relationships and social constructs of life, I never feel certain.

Being a psychotherapist for over 13 years, doesn't entitle me answers. In actuality, it taught me how to ask questions.

So what's the point, you may ask?

Guess my point today is, Sons, they inspire me. I admire the male mind, their ways of thinking, their differences. The process of Boys turning into Men can be amazing and humbling for mothers. Maybe, it is just humbling to "this" mother, but nonetheless, a process I am proud to be a part of.

I have found this website (and many others) helpful for Child Development and Parenting Information.

Child Development Institute


So what will I do today?   Go and spend some extra time with my dear dear boy.  I LOVE how he looked at me in the upper right photo.  He was so into me and I am so so into him!!!

Go and Give a kiss and a hug to the boys and men in your life today.

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely...thank you for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to reading more of your blog:)

    ReplyDelete