Thursday, April 21, 2011

Conversation Happens Between Point A and Point B

One of the Classics on the Subject of Parenting.

Official Website  -  Between Parent and Child

I don't particular like driving.  I don't particular like driving while my children bicker in the back seat.  

BUT, I do LOVE to be driving with them when I have them alone.  Many a times conversation happens while driving from point A to point B.

The older one gets into deep philosophical questions of life, God, friendship, people and the struggles of life.  He's been like that since he was 3 y.o.  Now at the ripe old age of 10, life has not gotten any easier for him.  But, I so enjoy his thoughts and ideas and perspectives.  

The younger one is much simpler, at least for now. She talks about stuff. The stuff that she loves; stuff that she wants, stuff that makes her happy and stuff that gives her doubts.  Then the simpler stuff, her favorite color, favorite candies, favorite book, or her favorite disney princess of the moment.

These drives often cause me mixed emotions.  They point to how little I know about parenting my children.  They show me my shortcomings. They announce to me that what I thought were true about my children only last but a fleeing moment. And I better catch up so I don't miss out on who they are and who they are becoming.  

Luckily, more often than not, the tenderness and sweetness will then set in.  No matter how I miss the mark, my children are still willing and ready with their openness towards me.  They are entrusting me with their thoughts, their feelings, their growing being.  Many people seek the unconditional love of their parents, yet, I find that I am often on the receiving end of that unconditional loving relationship from my children.

I thank them for their openness and pray that I am responsive to them as we continue to engage in these conversations between point A and point B.

I Wish For You A Conversation Between Point A and Point B Today.







No comments:

Post a Comment